Diversity at B&P
Becker & Poliakoff recognizes that quality legal representation in today’s world requires an intrinsic understanding of the unique needs and goals of diverse communities. As a result, the firm seeks to attract and retain diverse persons at all levels, and is committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which the unique perspectives of every person are respected.
The firm strives to assist clients by providing legal and business strategies in a manner consistent with the Firm’s core values and commitment to diversity. Moreover, the firm understands its leadership role in the community and encourages its attorneys to actively participate in non-profit organizations in the communities in which we live and work.
Becker & Poliakoff is proud to be ranked among the top ten law firms in South Florida for its high percentage of Black and women lawyers and in the top twenty-five law firms in South Florida for overall diversity according to the Daily Business Review.
Becker & Poliakoff is a Florida based law firm committed to promoting and highlighting diversity in the legal profession. The firm established its Diversity Fellowship in 2013 to offer law school students from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to demonstrate their own commitment to diversity in the legal profession.
The Diversity Fellowship is awarded annually to a second-year law student from a Florida University who meets the criteria stated below. The goal of the fellowship is to identify future leaders of our Firm (and the profession), who will practice law and conduct themselves according to the Firm’s Core Values statement, including the value of promoting diversity.
The award recipient will receive approximately $12,000 in total, which includes a $5,000 scholarship towards their 3rd year tuition and a summer internship which pays approximately $720 per week (or approximately $18 per hour). The paid summer internship (to be worked the summer after the second year of law school is completed) and the $5,000 tuition scholarship will be awarded together in February 2013. Recipients may not choose one without the other.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Full-time enrollment in good standing;
- Academic excellence at the law school;
- Commitment to community service;
- Demonstrated leadership skills;
- Meaningful contributions to the diversity of the community;
- Interest in the Firm’s primary areas of practices;
- Commitment to living in Florida after graduation.
Applicants must submit the following items, beginning October 1, 2012 through December 1, 2012 at 5:00 pm to email@example.com.
- Undergraduate transcripts (may be “unofficial”);
- Law School transcripts, including 1st semester of 2nd year (may be submitted after the December 1st deadline upon receipt of grades);
- A current résumé and three professional references;
- A legal writing sample not edited by others (maximum 5 pages);
- A personal statement that demonstrates the candidate’s commitment to the Firm’s goals on diversity with specific ideas on how the candidate plans to promote diversity within the Firm and in the legal community and reflects how the candidate meets the criteria as set forth above.
Becker & Poliakoff is a multi-practice law firm with 145 attorneys and lobbyists in offices throughout Florida and in Washington, D.C., New York, New Jersey, and Prague, Czech Republic. The firm has seven primary practice groups: homeowner and community association; business litigation; construction; real estate; custom and international trade; government law and lobbying; corporate and securities law.
Top candidates will be contacted and interviewed. The award recipient will be announced on or about February 1, 2013.